In 1945/46, former Polish forced workers erected this memorial to honor Polish victims of the Second World War. Being so called Displaced Persons, they were housed in the former Priesterwald Barracks along Charlottenstraße (today's Schwabenhof area).
At the end of the 1990s, the barracks were demolished. The iron cross was relocated to a small park along Charlottenstraße. A new inscription set into the ground was added, explaining:
"Using pieces of the ruins of Heilbronn, Polish forced workers
erected this cross in 1945/46, after their liberation. Standing
in the DP's camp on Fleiner Höhe, the cross commemorated their compatriots
who did not survive the Second World War.
September 9th, 2000"